In your martial arts classes, we talk about goal setting quite a bit. This month, we are going to spend some time talking about setting “SMART” goals. This means setting goals that are specific, measurable, attainable, relevant and timely. Let’s talk about what that means:
- S – Specific. While “Be better in school” might be an admirable goal, it isn’t specific enough. Decide what “better” means to you and focus on that.
- M – Measurable. Some goals are easier to measure than others. School-related goals are measurable because you get grades in school, but goals related to keeping your room clean might have to be measured in terms of the number of times you vacuum or dust each week.
- A – Attainable. If you haven’t learned to swim yet, then setting a goal of learning to dive isn’t attainable right now. Set goals you can achieve, and gradually work your way up to more difficult things.
- R – Relevant. Set goals that matter to you. You are a martial artist, so setting a goal related to getting your next stripe or belt would be a great way to motivate yourself.
- T – Timely. If you set goals like “Shovel the sidewalk” without giving yourself a deadline, you will probably have a harder time getting started and a harder time completing that task. Instead, give yourself a deadline and work to accomplish the goal on schedule, or ahead of schedule.
Setting SMART goals helps you focus on the things you want and make a plan for how to get them.
Are you looking for a Martial Arts School that teaches goal setting and encourages the Black Belt Attitude at all levels? Then give us a call right now at 757-410-4999 to find out how you can get started in one of our incredible programs today! Join the fun at King Tiger Martial Arts where you’ll experience expert training in a fun, positive and supportive environment suitable for everyone in your family. Or simply fill out the information box and take advantage of our FREE 30 Day Trial Membership!
And Hey, let’s become FaceBook official! Like and follow us at www.facebook.com/kingtigermartialarts