Healthy Eating Ideas for Kids
The kitchen can be a fun place for kids. They see adults working in there, watching the steam rise from pots on the stove and smelling what’s on the menu that night. Even older kids might be intrigued by how baked goods and meals come together. It isn’t always convenient to invite them into the kitchen to help, but consider doing so when time allows. It can be a creative and fun way to spend time with your children.
Here are a few recipes to help along the way.
This easy, no-cook oatmeal is packed with nutrition to get your day off to a healthy start. Make it in individual mason jars or Tupperware for a perfect serving size and an easy grab-and-go breakfast. Keep it cold and serve it chilled – straight from the fridge. This breakfast is high in protein, calcium and fiber and low in fat and sugar. Oh, and kids love it too!
- 1/4 cup uncooked old fashioned rolled oat
- 1/3 cup skim milk
- 1/4 cup low-fat Greek yogurt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried chia seeds or flax seeds
- 1 tablespoon cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon honey, optional (or preferred sweetener)
- 1/4 cup diced ripe banana, or enough to fill your jar.
- In a half pint (one cup) jar, add oats, milk, yogurt, chia seeds, cocoa powder and honey.
- Put lid on jar and shake until well combined.
- Remove lid, add bananas and stir until mixed throughout.
- Return lid to jar and refrigerate overnight or up to two days.
- Eat chilled.
Be creative, you can add any fresh or frozen fruit, flavored yogurt or milk substitutes (soy, almond or coconut milk).
Strawberry Smoothie Popsicles
- 1/2 cup sliced pineapple or mango
- 1/2 cup sliced strawberries
- 1/3 cup raw kale or spinach (omit if desired)
- 1/4 cup milk or yogurt of choice
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- Sweetener of choice, to taste
- Combine everything in a blender or food processor until super-smooth.
- Pour into Popsicle molds or paper cups, and insert spoons or Popsicle sticks.
- Freeze, then enjoy!
Are you looking for a Martial Arts School with an array of programs to meet the fitness needs of your busy family? Then give us a call right now at 757-410-4999 to find out how you can get started in one of our incredible programs today! Join the fun at King Tiger Martial Arts where you’ll experience expert training in a fun, positive and supportive environment suitable for everyone in your family. Or simply fill out the box in the upper right corner and take advantage of our FREE 30 Day Trial Membership!
Let’s become FaceBook official! Like and follow us at www.facebook.com/kingtigermartialarts